As growth in e-commerce increases, FEPE sees this as an opportunity for the envelope industry. Below are some of the reasons why:
- More than 80% of all cross-border e-commerce items weigh less than 2 kg, and more than 50% weigh less than 500 grams. Given that postal services regard anything weighing less than 2 kg as "letter mail" this represents a great opportunity for the envelope industry.
- Light-weight, flat items sent via e-commerce can be sent in envelopes. This equates to a potential 9 billion items.
- 46% of online purchases fit in a standard letter box. A great opportunity considering that two thirds of online shoppers prefer their purchases to be delivered to their homes.
- Using envelopes can reduce weight and volume, and consequently cost.
- Envelopes fulfil sustainability requirements.